On February 8th, MassTLC launched its newest peer group, one designed for Product Marketing Managers. Approximately 30 MassTLC members from companies of varying sizes joined us at Rocket Software in Waltham for a multi-session kickoff. Attendees were able to participate in 3 of 4 interactive discussion sessions over the course of two hours (View the complete set of presentations here.) The topics and session leaders were:
- Organizational Planning Needs for Product Marketing – Rich Weiss, Director of Product Marketing, Predictive Index
- The Role of Product Marketing in Go-to-Market – Nancy Darish, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- Enablement Done Right for Sellers, Partners, and Customer Success – Brian Gladstein, Senior Director of Product Marketing, CarbonBlack
- KPIs and Measurement in Product Marketing – Sam Feldman, Product Marketing Manager, Trello
These speakers shared their views on the role of product marketing in the broader corporate marketing strategy, how they organize the various product-related functions, engaging sales in the product marketing process and improving enablement offerings, measuring the effectiveness of product marketing, and much more. The sessions involved a two-way discussion on best practices.
To wrap up the morning, attendees brainstormed topics to be covered in future meetings. Suggestions included:
- Building influence and credibility across the organization
- What do we do well? How do we improve?
- Failures, learning from our mistakes.
- How to hire product marketing managers
- “Bring your Product Manager” – Product Manager/Product Marketing Manager partnership
- Product/Feature naming – the process
- Strategic content – thought leadership
- Distributed teams
- Product launch campaign strategies
- Moving from product to audience
- What does customer success mean to the Product Marketing organization?
The next meeting of the Product Marketing Manager peer group will be on April 5th at Toast in Boston. Save the date and watch for details. In the meantime, to learn more about our Product Marketing Manager peer group, contact Christine Nolan at email@example.com.